Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Yui Torigoe - Dualism exhibiton

As the newspaper article recently said: discovering new artists is as easy as going to the restaurant! It was in October 2006 when my then girlfriend/now wife and me went for a dinner at the restaurant in East Victoria Park (part of Perth, Western Australia, for you not familiar with Bassta! Pex’s whereabouts).

Food and service were awesome, but we also realised they had some cool artworks hanged on their walls. Had a chat with the owner while we were paying the bill and she told us the artist is a young Japanese woman who is currently visiting. We passed on our number and asked to get in touch.

A couple of weeks later I’ve heard from Yui Torigoe – the artist. Next day we met her and she gave us a CD-R with her artworks. After a few clicks through the thing I wanted to organise an exhibition for Yui straight away!

So, about 4 months later the exhibition Dualism is up and running at Central TAFE Artist-in-Residence Studio, at 149 Beaufort Street, Perth. It’s open 12 – 5pm Monday to Saturday, until 10 March 2007. If you’re in Perth come and check it out.

Now, I won’t bullshit too much – I don’t know more about the art than anyone else. And to be perfectly honest, there are not many works of art that really impress me. However, every now and again I stumble upon some artworks that impress me and make me go back to it and check it again and again: paintings by Dino Buzzati, works by young Taiwanese female artist I-Ching Hung and now Yui Torigoe.

Yui does child-like surrealist pieces about places, people and objects that do not exist, except in her mind. Or perhaps that’s how she sees the world around her and it’s up to us to either embrace or reject such world. I embrace it wholeheartedly!

No comments: